With significant budget cuts, limited resources and hiring freezes, public sector organizations are coming under immense pressure to reduce inefficiency and improve mission delivery effectiveness by reforming the way their organizations are structured and operations are managed.
Public sector leaders confront multiple barriers to improving their organizations’ effectiveness and efficiency, and will need to look beyond the usual annual across-the-board cost-cutting initiatives to drive sustainable operational improvements that do not compromise mission delivery. This is a complex change management challenge, where absent a thorough grasp of the details, execution is doomed to fail – achieving sustained operational efficiency requires an optimization of policies that dictate what work is done, the people, processes and systems to execute work, and management mechanisms to drive continuous improvement. While it is difficult enough to benchmark performance given the intricacies of most public sector operations, and identify potential improvement opportunities at a high-level, it is far harder to identify the true drivers of inefficiency at a granular and actionable level, change processes, systems and organizational behaviors to eliminate these inefficiencies, and put in place a performance management discipline that sustains the improvements over time.
Our Operational Improvement solutions “peel back the onion” to find improvement opportunities at a granular enough and actionable level, and our experts will arm you with the insights and tools to execute fast and capture sustained benefits by taking these concrete actions:
- De-average operating costs (Administrative, IT, Facilities, etc.) and identify the true cost drivers, map these to specific mission outcomes enabled, eliminate cost line items that are not mission-critical, and reduce / optimize the remaining costs
- Define the chain of activities truly needed to deliver the organization’s mission, overlay this on what is currently being done, and identify and excise unnecessary / duplicative activities that can be eliminated without compromising mission outcomes
- Identify the discrete process steps and systems needed to deliver mission-critical activities, root cause the true drivers of inefficiency at each step, and optimize them to eliminate waste, remove bottlenecks and accelerate cycle times
- Instrument activities and processes by developing data-driven decision-making mechanisms to help managers and executives monitor progress and make smarter operational decisions
Want to learn more about our Operational Improvement Solutions? Here are some other ways we can help!
Contact Censeo Consulting today to learn more about the following:
- Cost Benchmarking and Cost Reduction – Understand your cost structure and true cost drivers, and identify cost reduction opportunities
- Process Analysis and Improvement – Identify the activities and processes truly needed to deliver mission outcomes, eliminate wasteful / duplicative activities, and optimize inefficient processes
- Data-Driven Decision Making – Instill a data-driven culture and tools to drive smarter operational decision-making at all levels of the organization
- Program Analysis and Performance Improvement – Ensure programs are aligned with agency mission and set up to effectively deliver against that mission
- Support Function and Infrastructure Optimization – Optimize overhead and administrative costs by streamlining mission support functions (Acquisition, HR, IT, Finance, Facilities & Fleet, etc.)